Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Sub-Zero
Admin
Sub-Zero

Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin)   Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2020 8:29 pm

Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin) - Page 4 Deddcf97c3b5097fedb56bd2d4606b22
Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin) - Page 4 B8a96ae241cddbca6a2c9eed56b75f83
Quote :
She made the plan sound so much cooler than he did! Juniper had such an act for making the mundane sound so impressive. It was like it came naturally to her and he bet she could make anything sound that way. It was half-intimidating but mostly just impressive. He was glad to be there. He turned their plan around in his head, interested to see what they would uncover by the end of the day. Even if they didn't find anything at all, it would be a step in the right direction! A soft hue of color returned to his face as Juniper commented on his pastry. She heard him? Oh oops...and she caught him in the act. The cloud of sugar was gone now but her smirk wasn't. Puffing his cheeks and pursing his lips, a weak laugh expelled from his thin lips. His eyes darted back to the pastry with unease. "Oh-uh, yes, you are probably right." He blinked for a second or two before turning his gaze onto Juniper as she took a hearty bite out of her snack. “Try it, the sugar helps,” she suggested. Jericho faced the pastry again. She was right, he should have just eaten it already. He pulled it in toward his mouth. Opening his mouth, he sunk his teeth into its soft, breaded texture. He had taken quite a big bite. Now chewing on the powdered dough with puffy cheeks, Jericho nodded. It was really good! The inside was apparently filled with strawberry jelly - and what a delicious discovery that was. Powder sugar smothered his mouth, cheeks, and even the tip of his small nose. He eagerly chewed on the pastry and swallowed his first bite. The delicious mixture of sweetness and tang heavenly. Jericho was oblivious to how silly he looked with the powdered sugar on his face, merely enjoyed whatever new delicacy he was tasting. "This is really good, Juniper! You should really try some! You'll be very impressed." He gushed. "It has a strawberry filling inside!" He thought about the sweet gooey jam with delight. "I didn't even know it was in there. It's like a nice little surprise the baker wanted to give his customers. That's so nice of him! But here, you should really try it!" Jericho tore of a good piece of his pastry, humbly resting it in his palm as he offered it for her to try. Unaware that she had probably tried it before, but he treated the situation as though she was new to it as well.
Back to top Go down
https://wewillrule.forumotion.com
Pumpkin Cup

Pumpkin Cup

PostSubject: Re: Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin)   Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2020 10:50 pm

Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin) - Page 4 41c83fcae18ff1c5439d3659665e26fb
Quote :
Watching the man as they walked, curious of what his reaction would be to the new treat of his, she was pleased to see him smile from the outcome. He smiled at everything, but nonetheless, she was certain he wouldn’t have had such a reaction if it was bad. Sugar coated his lips and nose once he took his bite, and he didn’t even do anything about it as he simply enjoyed the bread. He was certainly an interesting man, that was for sure. He resembled a hamster almost with those puffed cheeks of his. Juniper chuckled under her breath, turning her gaze back to turn a corner with him and try to keep an eye out for more posters to investigate. The one they had only lead back to the tavern she wasn’t willing to return to. Speaking of the paper, she folded it neatly against her good leg, her other dragging behind her slightly so and her boot toe getting caught on a stone here and there. She felt rather pathetic, but every word conversed with Jericho helped to keep her mind off of her trouble. He hadn’t mentioned it a single time and she appreciated him focusing more on the niceties of their surroundings than the problems rolling through her head. To her, the world was getting worse, but to him, he was finding the silver lining in everything. Why was he so cheerful anyways? He naturally oozed buoyant energy that she didn’t understand. How did one live their life without a care of a worry? It was extraordinary. As they walked, her finally able to pocket the poster in her fitted pants, the boy beside her suddenly offered her a piece of his bread, smiling like he always did under that hood. It was a bigger piece than she expected him to offer. But, she would be a bit rude to reject an offer. Clearing her throat, she picked up the bread and investigated it only for a moment before biting off about half of it. The strawberry filling oozed onto her tongue and coated it with a sweet sensation, the crackle of the honey glaze below the sugar tingling in her ears. Her face contorted only slightly at the overwhelming sweetness, but it was only a couple small bites worth of the bread. “Mm, I can agree for the most part,” she murmured, popping the other part into her mouth after she had finished the first bite and dusting her hand of sugar onto her pants. “Can’t say I’ve had many pastries that have filling in them. I normally eat something small and fruity to satisfy my sweet tooth, rather than anything overwhelming sugary. I was raised on berries, not necessarily breads or treats like the children here.” She gestured to one of the shops nearby, a pastry shop that wafted all the tantalizing scents to the streets where children and adults were frequently walking in and out of with treats in their hands. “I’ve never understood the flocking to it. It makes you groggy after a while and you lose your sharpness of skill. But, I’m glad you enjoy it, Jericho.” She nibbled at the edge of her tart, almost finished with it by that point. Juniper continued to glance at the shops and homes they passed, truly not finding anything of interest. Some blocks had many crude posters of the badgers, while others were barren of any word. Such an interesting contrast to see just by turning corners. Eventually, she moved them off to a sidewalk with an overhang, pausing at a board on the local inn. It was a different poster than hers, quickly explaining that no badger affiliations were allowed within the premises and no business of theirs was welcome. How would they even know if these “badger people” were what they were, or that they were affiliated? Was it a public group? Raising a brow, she took out the poster once more and jotted down the name of the inn and the information they provided before looking to her companion. “Let’s check in here,” she told him, finishing off her treat and dusting off her hands together. “I wonder what’s got the innkeeper so worked up.”
Back to top Go down
Sub-Zero
Admin
Sub-Zero

PostSubject: Re: Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin)   Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2020 3:50 pm

Quote :
There was a flicker of joy twinkling in his expression as Juniper had graciously taken the bread piece he offered. He smiled to himself, now eating the rest of what he had. Swallowing the rest of his pastry as Juniper rubbed the powder off her hands, he chimed in after her comment. "Mhm! Yeah, I was raised the same way. I'm not used to this...sugar either. I mean regular sugar, and sweets. I quite like it, but it's different for sure!" He smacked his lips quietly at the access flavoring of strawberry jam. The substance was sticking to the roof of his mouth like honey. He couldn't complain since it had tasted so good and it gave him more time to enjoy it at least. Jericho turned his attention to the children racing around town and the adults buying from the shop. Juniper had eyed them first, and he wondered...was eating sugar like this good for children? He hadn't even thought of it before but maybe she was right. He was raised on freshly grown berries, breads, and meats. He was always in prime health with quick reflexes. Sugar was sure tasty, but if what Juniper said was right and it dulled their capabilities, maybe it wasn't so good. "I'm not going to be eating too much of it, but yeah I like it." He bubbled happily. Smiling, as he usually did, he brushed the access sugar off his face with his left sleeve. He was surprised to find so much powder on his face. Unfortunately, he had left a white spot on his nose, being completely unaware of it. Juniper then suggested they check out the local inn. Jericho turned his gaze. He eyed their 'no badger' policy with a firm nod. "Makes me wonder too." He said. "Let's find out!" The young man stepped up the wooden porch to the inn's entrance. He passed a friendly glance to Juniper before waiting for her to take the lead with a dash of powdered sugar on his nose.
Back to top Go down
Pumpkin Cup

Pumpkin Cup

PostSubject: Re: Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin)   Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2020 10:28 pm

Quote :
Juniper nodded her head in agreement. Sugar was tantalizing and addicting, but too much of it was a demon waiting to make you trip or scramble your words. Anyone would be foolish to give authority to such a plant. But, deciding not to voice such thoughts aloud, she watched him brush the sugar off his face, leaving only a smear on his nose. Were they not about to enter an investigation, she likely would have left it there and seen how long it would take for him to find out he’d been blemished. She bit her tongue to keep from chuckling, reaching into her vest pocket to pull out a small cream handkerchief, a golden embroidered Abi’Laark tree in the corner. “You missed a spot,” she told him, “give your face a good once-over. I’d also dust it off your sleeve.” He really caused a mess of himself, didn’t he? She noted not to let him have sugar-dusted pastries on days they needed to work on her case. Giving him a moment to adjust himself and look presentable, Juniper stepped up onto the wooden porch herself and swung the door open to stroll casually into the inn. Though not remarkable, it was quaint and small, peeling white walls with worn brown wood flooring creaking under her boots. The air had a scent of dust and brick, likely coming from the foundation or a fireplace in an adjacent room. A podium stood off to the right, sitting in front of the side stairs in the back of the small room. Doors stood on either side of the entrance, leading into adjacent sitting and entertainment rooms. At the podium, a small-framed woman leaned against it, adorning a plaid green dress below a white apron tied at the waist. Her densely curled brown hair was tied back with leather, and when the two walked in, she looked up from investigating the dirt under her nails. Juniper and she were both not very impressed with one another. “Welcome to the Monolith,” she drawled, her eyes scanning over both their appearances. “If either of you are looking for criminals, you won’t find any here.” Juniper could have huffed at such a greeting. “I’m not a soldier of the town,” she replied, hands loosely on her waist and keeping her weight on her good foot. “I work under Lady Abi’Laark to track down the members of the badger group I’ve been hearing so much about.” She jerked her thumb over her shoulder. “I saw the poster outside, do you personally know any of the members displayed or any that aren’t publicized?” The woman sighed out, rolling her eyes with her elbow still leaning on the podium. “Look, we keep that sign up because they used to harass my parents and drink us out of business. If you’re so interested in them, you can get a copy of all their recorded faces down at the Garrison, center of town. Can’t really miss it, with all the soldiers moseying around. The Captain probably has a few copies stored somewhere up his a**.” She looked back down at her fingernails, picking dirt from under them. The Lady would have been annoyed, but the hostess gave a start, at least. “Thank you,” she muttered, wincing at a twinge of pain. She scuffled in her pocket before tossing a silver coin onto the podium, the item clinking against the wooden boards. “I’d improve that attitude, or that coin will be the last of your profits.” Turning on her heel, she gestured for Jericho to follow, making her way out of the inn. That conversation made the building even stuffier than she felt before, and she was ready for fresh air regardless of how little time she spent in closed walls.
Back to top Go down
Sub-Zero
Admin
Sub-Zero

PostSubject: Re: Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin)   Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2020 11:31 pm

Quote :
He listened to the creaking of the wood boards as Juniper came up to him with a handkerchief. His soft green eyes followed her, before dropping to the fabric in her hand. "Oh, okay." He replied simply. Jericho carefully slipped the silky soft material into his fingers, rubbing his face with it while being mindful of the time. He brushed his cheeks. He patted the dust off his nose, swallowing back a sneeze. Then he brushed off his outfit's sleeves and patted down the handkerchief. "Thank you," he said with the appreciation glowing from his face. Jericho returned the now clean fabric, if she had wanted it, and remained at her side as she entered the inn. His eyes met with the decor he found himself interested in observing what it had to tell. The gentle white wall paint, the worn floorboards, and thick smelling air with a touch of dust and smoke. There was always some history behind each building, some kind of story. The white walls could have been a different color a few years prior to today, who really knew! Fazing out as he glanced about the interior of the inn, he let Juniper and the innkeeper talk for the time being. He keenly listened to their conversation, even if his eyes wandered around the room. However, Jericho practically jumped by the end of it. His ears burned at the curse word slipping from the innkeeper's curled lips. He looked, a bit wide eyed, at the curly-haired innkeeper then to Juniper like a child would. He was a bit scared out of his skin at how curt she was. It was so cruel. Why treat a total stranger like that? Why treat anyone like that? He was a bit sad after the shock faded. He watched Juniper jingle a single coin onto the desk, before commenting about her shrewd attitude. That's right! Jericho sent an agreeing nod and a huff after his companion had finished. "Yes, learning some manners might help you run a business." Jericho added with a developing frown. He folded his arms, eyes flicking to Juniper's gesture. A second later, he hurried back beside her and out through the inn's creaky door to the fresh clean air. "I'm glad you told her off like that! I sure couldn't." Jericho told her softly. "I don't get why people act like that? It puts everyone in a bad mood...and it makes no sense." He looked to her sadly. "But at least we got something out of that mess, right? We gotta talk to the Captain. You should probably do all the talking there though. You do a good job."
[/quote]
Back to top Go down
Pumpkin Cup

Pumpkin Cup

PostSubject: Re: Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin)   Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2020 7:05 pm

Quote :
Stepping fully out of the inn and brushing a hand down her face, her attention was pulled away from her frustration temporarily at Jerichos’ praise and compliments. A slight blush came over her cheeks, and she waved his comments off, walking forward and stepping off of the porch to continue their trek down the road. Wherever this center of town was, she didn’t exactly see it anywhere near. “I hardly talked to her. She was likely just intimidated by having an affiliate of her Lady questioning her and being in her presence. I don’t agree with her words chosen, but not many tend to be completely open and relaxed among people like me. I wear the Abi’Laark symbol, I’m as threatening as a soldier, possibly worse if they knew who I really was. I don’t think we will be getting many happy looks or treatment in this problem solving of ours.” She sighed out, readjusting the tie in her raven hair to pull tighter against her head with half her hair pulled up from her neck and face. “I’ll do the talking though since you insist. I’m the leader of the both of us, I’d assume, so better it be that way anyway.” The sound of horse hooves came curving around the corner, and it panicked her only for a moment to imagine Artheanax being close by or having escaped. But it was only a passing carriage, dropping off an arrival at a post stop and picking up the next passengers. She hoped the beastly man that chased after her earlier had not gone after her steed as vengeance, but she didn’t think a small bag of silver would cause that much of a fuss. It did make her wonder about Jericho’s financial status, however. Wanting to fill in their walk, she looked over to him, a hand in her pocket. “So the tavern room is yours correct?” she asked, raising a dark brow. “Why live in the tavern? I would assume a small shack or home would be cheaper, in the long run, to stay in, not with all the nightly fees taverns charge. Fees are not a problem for me, but I can see how they would stack greatly with consistent stays.”
Back to top Go down
Sub-Zero
Admin
Sub-Zero

PostSubject: Re: Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin)   Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2020 3:53 pm

Quote :
Jericho had slowly nodded, brows still elevated as he listened to her explanation. His round, olive green eyes pulled off Juniper when she finished. Then he softly chewed at the idea. Having mulled over it for a moment or two, he shook his head. "Huh, I don't get. It seems backwards to me. The people should treat their soldiers with more respect than a commoner, not less. Soldiers protect them...keep them safe." His pure tone accompanying his words, had a hint of sadness at the notion. It seemed people with authority were treated poorly, and people below the middle classes were treated just as badly. How could a system like that function -everyone hating one another, treating everyone as inferior by their ranks and positions alone? The way he saw it, it would only lead to more chaos and hostility. The world didn't need more of that. A soft breath slithered past his thin lips. He smiled at Juniper when she looked at him. He confirmed her assumption about living at the tavern. Bright eyes, he nodded his head again. "Very true! The costs can add up I suppose, but Beorn, the innkeeper, gave me a very kind offer." He explained happily. "I helped him out with his daily inn tasks, fixing up furniture for example, and so when he heard where I was staying, he gave me a room for cheaper. He is a very nice man. I also like being around people so an inn is perfect." Jericho tapped at his chin with his forefinger in thought. "You meet such funny people." He laughed and looked back to her, "like you! If I never lived there, we never would have met either. That's how life is, you'know. The stream pulls us all in the right directions!" His soft smile grew. "What about you? Do you live in that massive house Lady Abi'laark lives in? You see, I just can't believe people actually live in it, but it must be very nice though, very impressive! I've never seen it but I've heard plenty of stories!" He giggled.
Back to top Go down
Pumpkin Cup

Pumpkin Cup

PostSubject: Re: Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin)   Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2020 8:26 pm

Quote :
Jericho held the soldiers in high regard, seeing them as protection and a safety net for him and the town. She agreed, they should be seen in such a light and be praised rather than feared. But she didn’t think she made herself quite clear to him, and began to clarify. “I don’t think its that they treat us less. They put up a barrier of sarcastic language and brush us off because they fear what we bring. We bring justice - we pull up bad roots and knockdown back-street business. With many here being affiliated with the badgers I’m afraid, I don’t think many are happy to see someone like me here, and are just being rude so we leave sooner and go on our way. It is easier than possibly being questioned or searched because of their generosity. In my experience, that’s how it goes. If this was an unwanted gang, they would be worshipping my presence. But, it is what it is currently. That hostess won’t be the first, or the last, to act such a way. I can continue being the speaker if their language bothers you.” Their boots kicking up dust, her keeping an eye out for signage for the center of town or the town hall, she listened closely to his explanation of his financial status and current homestead. Juniper supposed it was a good deal, work off the other portion of his rent. She was rather curious by his mention of fixing furniture, however. She opened her mouth to ask, waiting for him to finish, but he had the audacity to call her a funny person. The woman was shocked silent for a moment, unable to form a proper response. Nobody had ever called her ‘funny’ before. Should she be offended or complimented? It boggled her mind so much as to why he’d call her amusing that she deigned to not ask, rather focusing on his latter question. She couldn’t help but chuckle at it, shaking her head. “No, I don’t reside with Lady Abi’Laark. I am from another neighboring land, but I do have a similar abode to hers. A different style, mind you, but a larger family home. It’s just me, my staff, and a family member of mine, but we have an expanse of land I use for hunting, archery practice, and fishing. I run a large export operation off the coast of my land and participate in large trading markets to make a profit. I would like to consider us the biggest operation in the Southern Isles, but to be truthful I haven’t seen enough of my competition to get an idea. They chase pirates, we dabble in local shores with our fishing boats and domestic shipping. We make good enough profits, and that’s all I am really concerned about.” Realizing she had talked for a bit longer than she thought, she cleared her throat and got herself back on track. “Anyways, my home is a bit nicer than Abi’Laark’s. More open interiors, lots of windows that can open to the fresh air, and an indoor cast port that connects straight to the ocean for personal travel or enjoyment. I like to take my own little sailboat out into the water on occasion just to feel the fresh air, get a tan if I wish it.” She shrugged, the fabric of her clothes audibly rubbing together. “It is a quaint place, some might say, but it’s home. Perhaps I will have to invite you if this all goes well so you can see it for yourself.”
Back to top Go down
Sub-Zero
Admin
Sub-Zero

PostSubject: Re: Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin)   Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2020 12:30 am

Quote :
Juniper had made an attempt to reiterate what she had explained before. Nevertheless, her continued explanation had only muddled his already confused mind. Drawing his brows in at a crease, Jericho looked to her with a somewhat clouded expression. He stared blankly at her while she spoke. The more she attempted to conjure up an explanation, the stranger it had sounded to him. It became so warped and backwards, he had to pause to try and attempt to fashion a response when she had paused and given him time to respond. There was very little he could comment on however. He blinked for a moment, mouthing her words before uttering, "yes, you should definitely be the speaker between the both of this. Some customs are a riddle I have yet to decipher!" He chuckled softly. Jericho pulled his gaze from the floor, back onto the trail ahead of them where the villagers ambled like little ants from shop to shop. Each passing person came and went, so fixated on what they were doing. They remained entirely engrossed on their schedules and routes, reminding him of ants harvesting food from aphids. Such a funny little world they lived in. He supposed he was no different though. Jericho smiled to himself. Then he smiled more as he was graced with Juniper's chuckle. He stayed quiet to listen all she had to say. The light in his eyes continued to glow with his almost child-like innocence. "That's amazing! You have an even larger home? I couldn't even imagine it! Wow, that is so fascinating. It all must be rather overwhelming to have all that responsibility on your shoulders though. Well...probably not to you. I couldn't see you being overwhelmed by anything," he bubbled and continued bashfully, "I think I'd be taken back by it, at least a little." He rubbed his arm and went quiet. His ears turned to his companion's words and at the mentioning of getting a tan if she wished it, Jericho laughed below his breath. It was for the simple fact that he hadn't expected that response coming from her of all people. She liked to keep such an image for herself, it was funny to hear such a thing, but he liked to hear it. Each word was something new. He loved hearing everything, from her perspective, to her little quirks. Jericho light up to her proposition about taking him to her residence sometime in the future. His wispy brows hair tickled his forehead as he had nodded. Then he enthused over the idea. "I would like that very much, if you'd ever like to." He said. "I've never seen the sea, which is a little funny considering how close we are. Not that we're close or anything-" he tripped over his words and blushed. "I mean, we could be a lot further from the sea...but I've never been. It sounds a little scary." His soft smile grew and he laughed as a thought flickered into his head. "I heard somewhere that the birds at the sea are very loud. Some say they screech and cry, but I don't know what that would sound like, do you? I just picture it to sound like some sort of wailing lapin or something. But can you imagine?" He giggled. "I've heard loud birds before, but not screeching birds!"
Back to top Go down
Pumpkin Cup

Pumpkin Cup

PostSubject: Re: Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin)   Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2020 4:38 pm

Quote :
When Juniper gave a glance to her walking companion, she saw his face scrunched in further confusion, seeming to misunderstand her further from her initial explanation. She had to stifle a sigh, wishing she had someone to discuss with about all the craziness of the game of nobility. But she supposed it was even more confusing for a man who had little to nothing to do with how it all worked. Placing her other hand in her pocket, she listened to the scuffle of heels on the dirt, bells of shop doors, and clicking of horse hooves and tack as they passed in carriages and casual riding. Such casual sounds that she did not hear very often in her own towns. No, for her it was the ringing of ships into shore, the creaking of the docks, the seagulls crying overhead and circling over the new arrivals. It was strange being in a different land, and though she traveled plenty for her work as well as for noble business, she never truly adjusted to the places she ended up in. Over the sound of the crowd however came Jericho’s voice again, back to its cheerful demeanor as he expressed his enthusiasm over her living abode and pondered the responsibility required for it. A smile attempted to tug at the end of her lips, and she huffed out a small breath at it all. No man, or woman for that matter, had ever been so marveled by her lifestyle. It was so normal for her having grown up in it that having such a conversation with a man like Jericho was unusual. Not necessarily unpleasant, but new for her. Discussing anything with a simple civilian was often out of a noble’s comfort circle. Jericho’s comment about her not being overwhelmed though was interesting to hear though. Not overwhelmed? She could have chortled at it. “You wonder why I hunt as often as I do, why I take jobs such as chasing these badgers? I escape the horrid duties of a marquess. If I had a partner it would not be as concerning, but I take on many of the duties myself. Tending for my people, overseeing my staff, controlling the borders, and running the seaports. I am glad to have advisors and other smaller nobility that step in for my absence, or I would never get anything done beyond my manor. You will learn, Jericho, that though us higher ranks have a fancier life, it is only because we have to take on so much under our belts. As nice as it is to live in a bigger house, I’m expected to carry a large family to fill it, to carry on my family name. I’m lucky to have nobody that can truly make me do such a thing quite yet. And it makes it nice when I have guests over, to have a quieter and more mature space rather than caring about the welfare of children running underfoot.” She wanted to mention something else about such a thing but decided it wasn’t entirely that important to bring up. As he continued, speaking of the closeness of the sea, he must have assumed she would have thought he meant them two, rather than their proximity to the water, but it was far from it. She caught on quickly to his meaning and didn’t give him any notion that she had taken offense to his words. Juniper simply listened in curiosity. Seagulls? He was talking about seagulls? She couldn’t help but laugh breathily, gazing up at him. “It is quite the sound, though normally not so loud unless you are on the beach cliffs where they nest. They normally cry overhead, and it sounds like a loud door squeaking open or a chair screeching against a wood floor. They are rather intimidating, but the sea they live by is not scary. It is quite beautiful, actually. The horizon is untainted by buildings and trees, and the waves lapping at the shore could send you right to sleep. I don’t think I could live anywhere but the sea, to be honest. If I were a lesser noble I’d be traveling the world on my own boat with my own crew, part of my own shipping company. I’d make a living shipping tea or something,” she mused with a tiny smile. “It’s something I’ve given great thought to, but I’m content with my title and standing right now. I can travel by boat to any event, or sit on the ocean in my own boat, so it works for me right now. If you come along after, I can show you the beauty of the sea and all it contains.”
Back to top Go down
Sub-Zero
Admin
Sub-Zero

PostSubject: Re: Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin)   Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2020 7:00 pm

Quote :
The dusty perfume of the arid ground sifted through Jericho's nose as he breathed in and out again. He passed his eyes across the scenery ahead as the two of them walked side by side as though they were acquaintances, rather than strangers. Juniper's voice came over the clamoring of the village square. She disclosed her nobility life, along with admitting that her large house carried enough burdens to cause her to slip away from her duties for a fresh breath of air. So, that explained why she was here, chasing badgers and tending to Lady Abi'Laark's errands. The luxurious home life had its difficulties, which was far from surprising. His admiration from Juniper hadn't been fazed by her in depth confession about running from her troubles and balancing her work mostly by herself. Where a pessimistic word could have been placed, only positive encouragement came from Jericho's smiling lips. "Ahh, well I'll definitely keep that in mind, Juniper! I'm more acquainted to having a simpler life anyways, but I'm really amazed you can do all of that, plus work for Lady Abi'Laark mostly by yourself. Not many could say that. No one I know anyways." Jericho said with a slight dip of his chin. Passing his glance aside, he simmered in thought before suddenly beaming from ear to ear. His cloaked hood rippled with the breeze as he turned his head. He looked to Juniper rather innocently and said, "I get the impression that you don't like children very much. I think it would be funny to see you balancing a child on your hip though, just because you look so tough and intimidating. If you had any kids, I doubt anyone would want to mess with them in fear of your dagger-like glares!" Jericho's shoulders bobbed up and down as he laughed. He could imagine such a scene easier than she probably would have liked. She'd walk around with her kids and the villagers would be quaking in fear at the sight of her. One wrong glance at her kids and she'd be smoking at the nose like a dragon! All in all he was never very interested in other's personal relationships. He was not the person to encourage getting married and having kids one way or another, even if Juniper mentioned it or asked. He lived more so in the moment, than in someone else's life decisions. From the way he spoke and reacted, he quite easily gave off the impression. Jericho merely lived his life in the moment, commenting on what he wanted to comment on, with little to no pressure or heed from others. He humored himself in Juniper's position, but was also quick to diverge his train of thought the next topic she had delved into. He smiled at Juniper's chuckling, though without any understanding as to why she found him so amusing. She explained the birds, the seagulls -as they were called, much to his interest. He quietly wondered what a gull was, but he hadn't made any attempt on asking. Intently listening to all she was explain, Jericho felt a laugh slip out through his lips at her description of a seagull's sound. A loud squeaky door, or a chair creaking against floorboards? He could only picture flying chairs and doors now with attached wings, flying aimlessly over the sea with a cacophony of squeaks and creaks. What a sight that would be! His cheeks flushed at the sheer strangeness of the idea, deciding that he really needed to hear and see all there was for himself! Even more so with Juniper's picturesque description of the sea, which was as pretty as a painting. His conjured image of flying chairs and doors faded into a beautiful backdrop of wispy, cream colored clouds, drawn across an endless sky daubed with peach colors, soft pinks, and sunflower yellows. Having never seen the sea, he imagined a large lake, reaching on past his line of sight, touching the land across the sea. He virtually tasted the clear, open air. The swooshing of the small waves across the water's surface tickled his ears. A warm, comforting feeling bubbled in his chest. For as vague as he could imagine the sea was, it appeared so heavenly and peaceful. He had never heard any description of the sea being filled with such awe and deep admiration before. Jericho's genuine and comfortable soul was touched by her offer to show him. As expected, he was delightfully honored that she had offered such a suggestion. He desired to see all of the world, to learn as much as he could. Responding almost as earnestly and eager as a child would, he offered his appreciation, his cheeks softly dusted in a blush. "Wow, we have very similar dreams! I would love to travel the world too, but even being at the sea, even seeing it, sounds amazing, so thank you. Yes, I would love to come along and see all there is out there. To hear all those squeaky seagulls and to watch the lapping waves...I wonder how different a boat feels like. It surely rocks over the water, no?" Jericho extended out his arms as though he were reenacting being on a boat. He strode, tilting his arms one way to the other. He leaned even more, stepping somewhat ahead, only to turn on his heel. Then he giggled and set his arms back at his side, searching Juniper's face for her reaction. "I guess there is a lot about the sea I haven't thought about. My feet has always been on the ground, or in the trees, or in the air! It makes me wonder how much more I haven't even considered." Jericho enthused. "It'll be such an adventure to see all of it!" Excitement danced in his forest green eyes like the sunlight upon a rippling wave. His smile was contagious to look upon. He held his inspirations and wishes tightly to his chest, determined to keep them forever. Perhaps it was his own ignorance that kept him so insistent on them, but he saw no reason to drop his over eager wishes or see them as intangible. If he had, he wouldn't be Jericho.
Back to top Go down
Pumpkin Cup

Pumpkin Cup

PostSubject: Re: Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin)   Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2020 10:38 pm

Quote :
Jericho was quite the character, Juniper determined, to have such a passing yet positive glance on the troubles of others. With or without knowing all the details, the man preferred to keep things happier, to find the best section of every sentence she or anyone else spoke. He had his own sour opinions, as it was clear by the hostess of the last inn, but he kept rather chipper compared to the others she knew. Especially those like Xavier and Trinity, who preferred to tease and quip rather than get any worthwhile work done. Before she went on a mental tangent about their behavior, she sighed out her anger and shoved her hands deeper into her pockets. “I was meant to have a partner with me, as you know. But I highly doubt such a ‘prim and proper man’ would dare set his nice shoes in the dust of this town. If his mustache is tweaked the wrong way he would probably throw a fit, so I can’t imagine how he would fare being here. I, on the other hand, dirty at least two pairs of clothes a day. I can’t be bothered with fussing over my looks as much as other nobility.” Shaking her head, they turned the corner and were greeted by a wider town section, full of people mingling and shop doors ringing bells as citizens entered and exited. This seemed to be the busiest part of it all, where the community truly thrived. She walked slower to avoid being in anyone’s way, sticking closer to Jericho’s side if only to keep either of them from being swept away from the mess. At his next comment though, coming over the commotion of those nearby, her eyes widened like saucers and she stared up at him for a long moment, before her gaze went to the townspeople, to the children that ran past with cheerful giggles and play. Her teeth ground behind her lips, but she chose her words carefully. “I think you would be surprised, Jericho,” she told him, speaking slowly. “A forced family is different from the one you choose to have.” That was all she would say on the matter, knowing she would throw herself into a fuss if she pondered on the subject too long. It was a worry, deep down, that any children would be intimidated or viewed as a threat. But it was something she hopefully would not be worrying about for quite some time. She already had her fair share of discussions with her council; she did not need any more of it from Jericho. Pausing their walk to stand at a nearby bench, Juniper scanned their surroundings to find the Garrison she was informed about. There were no truly clear signs, but as people moved around and signs were clearer to read, she could piece together where they were at. Once she was settled and found a path leading to their destination, she moved her and her companion back to the dusty street to continue their pleasant walk. “I am glad I have someone with me who is as eager about the water as I am. I hope that stays once you meet it.” She had known people with a hatred for the water, who could not set foot on a sandy beach let alone get their toes wet in the lapping waves. Those were not people she tended to stick by. “There is a bit of rocking, yes, especially when you are at a standstill or letting the waves take you out to sea. I have grown accustomed to it, but you may to be on a bigger boat to reduce the impact. My smaller boat tends to hit the larger waves harder if I go out too far, due to its size. Some people tolerate it, some people grow into it, and the rest struggle. I hope you land in the first two categories if you want to travel more frequently.” Following the signs to the Garrison, she could finally see it peering from buildings in the distance, a relief to her. She wouldn’t have tolerated walking in circles or having to ask for help finding what was likely the main building of the town, aside from a city hall or large gathering space. “I look forward to seeing what adventures we discover, Jericho.”
Back to top Go down
Sub-Zero
Admin
Sub-Zero

PostSubject: Re: Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin)   Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2020 2:56 am

Quote :
The disdained rustle of Juniper's words tapped at his ear, alluding to her detached relationship with her partner, which appeared less than helpful considering her current situation. Jericho remained puzzled by the idea, chewing at his thoughts as they rolled around in his head. He had seen several individuals that fit that description. None of those people were men however, and that had amused Jericho enough to giggle. An entertained smile leaped to the man's lips and his head bobbed up in surprise. "He has a mustache?!" A whimsical gleam flashed across his face, causing his smile to pinch at his cheeks. "That is something I wouldn't expect, not in the slightest! I never would have thought someone with a mustache would be so picky in regards to his looks, but I'll certainty take your word for it! I always picture someone with a mustache to look brawny and tough...kinda like the blacksmith I work for." Jericho emphasized his point with a swift gesture of his hand. They had turned the corner together, welcomed by the serenading music of town-bells, village chatter, and the occasional clopping of hooves. His optimism quieted down as clusters of passing villagers swarmed the path, preventing him from wandering further back in fear of becoming separated. His enthused expression softened, and he glued himself to Juniper's side through the onslaught of strangers on the busy roads. It all felt overwhelmingly unfamiliar to him. The bumping of shoulders, pattering of feet, and chatter resulted in Jericho nibbling at his lower lip. His appeared glazed over, though he swallowed back whatever he could, calming his nerves by knowing it would fade. The jumbled mess around him would quiet down as they walked further into town. When it had, Jericho sprung back into his excited, enthused character, like a wildflower budding at the first sign of spring. He replied hastily to Juniper's response about a 'forced family' with radiating confidence that seemed to grow around her. And no, he was not very knowledgeable in body language or tone, aside from when it is blatantly obvious, so he didn't detect her discomfort. He went on as though nothing was wrong, oblivious to Juniper's halfhearted answer and attempt to bury the subject. She appeared to bite back her concerns. But he lingered in his ignorance anyway. The man was fortunate that his response would likely ease her concerns, rather than irritate them further. His agreeable nature was his saving grace in these conversations. "Yeah, I don't know very much about family one way or another, so you're probably right," he told her kindly. "I will learn more as time goes on though so don't worry. Perhaps I won't be so surprised then!" He offered her a consoling nod, before readjusting the leather strap across his chest when it had felt unaligned. The arrows in his quiver rattled around like fish in a barrel. Then his bow brushed against his shoulder, and he fixed whatever bothered his nerves. Jericho had worn a bow for so long that whenever the quiver, or strap, was remotely off-center, it would nag at his conscious until he fixed it. Having dealt with that rather frustrating readjustment, his glowering brows returned to their naturally plucky disposition, and he slowly stopped at the bench beside Juniper. She focused her scowls around town, most likely in search of directions. Taking a look around as well, Jericho's hands rested calmly at his sides and he glanced at the signs placed around the roads. He rocked somewhat on his toes as he waited. The gravel collected under his boots crunched as he lingered in place and took in whatever caught his glance. Children scurried along the streets, ducking and weaving through passerby's. The sun beat down upon the disturbed dirt in the road, illuminating the clouds of dust picked up from the villager's shoes as they tromped through the streets. Murky shadows draped down from the shops, houses, and other various structures, onto the back alleys like a coat of dark paint. The crisp, symmetrical forms in the building's shadows appeared so unnatural to the eye. One would normally see a mess of irregular shapes in the outline, even more so if that shadow was projected over grass or other sorts of vegetation, but here in town, the structures were rectangular, unnaturally angled. The roads were devoid of grass or vegetation. Even town signs represented this obsession with straight lines and squared shapes. Jericho puzzled over this bizarre compulsion, determining that every house and shop appeared similar in build. Why were people so absorbed in angles? Did they not have circular houses or shops, and if so, where were they? Amusing as it was, Jericho hadn't seen a circular shaped sign either, no matter where he turned. It appeared as though towns were devoid of anything besides squares and triangles! The doors were square, and the windows were square. Jericho entertained the thought of constructing a circular house just to see what reaction he would get. He smirked at the notion. When they were done lingering, Juniper pulled herself away and walked onto a dirt road. The man gave a double-take toward the woman before hurrying at her side, moving quick to keep at her pace. He was smaller than she was by roughly two inches. Jericho wasn't known for towering over many people, but quite the opposite in fact. "I hope so too, though I'm quite certain I will be." Jericho enthused to her comment about rocking boats. "I have been in quite a few situations where I've been rocked like that, though never at sea. I used to go climbing with my family, and the trees were sooo much taller there than the ones we have here. These things are saplings. They're tiny!" He began to beam, leaning his head back as sighed sweetly, and stared at the blue sky above their heads. He watched the clouds silently drift along the wind before looking to Juniper as she continued along towards their destination. He spoke slowly and softly now, like a grandmother reading a bedtime story. He reached for that moment in his mind, almost grasping it with his words. "We were around trees so often, it was almost second nature to us, and when you get high enough in the canopy, the forest sways, back and forth...back and forth...so steadily. If you find a comfortable enough place in the branches, the forest can easily lull you to sleep. There is nothing but you, the trees, the wind, and the animals around you." He stared for a moment longer, before diverting the subject. After a pause, Jericho pipped up. His irrepressible giddiness and joy overcame the quieter tone, contrasting it completely. "I imagine it would feel like a boat! You know, with the rocking, the wind, and all that fun stuff, and it's something to be hopeful for if we ever want to go on those trips!" He chuckled to himself, glancing off toward the vast sea of buildings across the town to locate their destination, still ruffled by the square shaped structures.
Back to top Go down
Pumpkin Cup

Pumpkin Cup

PostSubject: Re: Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin)   Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2020 11:03 pm

Quote :
With everything the two had been discussing, Juniper had not been expecting such a jubilant response to the description of her partner. She could not hold back her curious gaze as she looked to the cackling boy, who seemed overly amused by the prospect. Was facial hair really that funny? As he further explained, she supposed she could understand a bit better, but even so it was an odd response. “So you work for the tavern, but also for a blacksmith, am I correct in that? And you also have talents in woodworking and medicine? For a boy of your age, however young you actually are, I am surprised you have such knowledge and positions. Do you have an official job at a blacksmith?” She couldn’t entirely be surprised, boys of his similar age seemed to find apprenticeships with such positions early on so they had a path to follow. Jericho however, she couldn’t place what path he was set forth on, though she knew very little of him. They squeezed their path through the town as she thought and ended up in the middle of the town square. The woman had noticed the boy’s hesitancy, his attachment to her side. If anyone was to protect him, however, it was her. Had he not transversed through such an area before though, living in this town? Why was it so overwhelming? Like most things from the boy, her curiosity was picked at again, chipping away at the back of her head. So many unanswered questions about her companion. When they exited the business of the square, the loud conversations and bustle of the town settling behind them, the boy seemed to perk right back up as though nothing was amiss, carrying on with little to no mention of his prior behavior. His reply of not knowing much about family did not ease her mind quite as much as she figured he thought it would, but she tolerated it and stuffed it down within her. If he did not know the details of it, he would not understand her many struggles. Letting that topic flutter to the wind, her eyes scanned the roads and found they were headed to a slightly quieter place, one with stone walkways and walking under a stone arch and wooden gates leading to a more secluded part of town. Soldiers walked here more freely, buildings in better shape and a large building headed in front of them. The Garrison towered above the other town buildings, seemingly a lord’s abode above the peasantry. A stone staircase behind a spewing fountain led to a pointed-roof barracks, two towers on either side with flags of golden bears waving from their peaks. The soldiers paid them little mind, especially with Juniper’s appearance and crest upon her attire. Juniper wasn’t sure if she felt comfortable or annoyed by that fact. Her sights set on the center ahead, the fountain beckoning them to come closer, so she slowed her pace to show her peace to the militia gathered and made her way towards it, Jericho at her side. They would find better answers here. “I suppose a canopy could be similar, with the branches waving in the wind and the rough weather that can pass through the forest. I have spent a fair amount of time in the treetops, though I’m certain you have more experience than I do in that field. I prefer the ground for many of my ventures.” Glancing up at him, she tilted her head just a tad, hands resting easily at her sides as they walked. ”Are you separated from your family, then?”
Back to top Go down
Sub-Zero
Admin
Sub-Zero

PostSubject: Re: Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin)   Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2020 6:06 pm

Quote :
Juniper quietly announced her surprise with his broad spectrum of interests and positions, asking if he had an official position with the blacksmith in town. To her question, Jericho chewed at his response. His brow pulled forward to signal his slight confusion to her surprise in his talents. He hadn't assumed people did things any differently than he did. Everyone had a variety of talents and different things to dabble under, especially if they were curious enough to try, and had the opportunities available to them. Then, all at once, he understood why there was a difference in understanding. The realization flickered through his round, jade colored eyes and he perked up as he formulated his answer. The cowl looming over his head, fluttered as he turned his head to her. Jericho replied earnestly, "oh, no, no it's not very official. I prefer a flexible schedule and travel where the wind takes me. I don't really like a set routine, you see." He gave a halfhearted chuckle, rubbing his shoulder. When he had given his explanation, he and Juniper walked further into town, toward a lofty stone Garrison. He had scarcely noticed the building was their destination, until it had taken up most of his line of sight. Jericho noted its impressiveness. He placed a hand over the dip of his brow to peer up and study the waving banners placed on either tower. The undulating, golden fabric shimmered beneath the beating rays of light from the clear sky. He breathed in the interesting smells of metal and earth, observing the distant glances given by the knight soldiers, and mulling over what could be learned from such an interesting place. His eyes motioned from one side to the other, fascinated by its every nook and cranny. Juniper's calm words tapped at his ear and he found himself chewing back a surprised smile as she spoke about knowing what the treetops felt like. He scarcely would have guessed. Something in him sang when she admitted to it and as usual, whenever she talked, he would give her his undivided attention. He pulled his sights from the visual display of the Garrison, to her, and he nodded along to her words. ”Are you separated from your family, then?” She asked him. He lowered his chin to her question, then looked away. He drew air into his lips as he inhaled, and found himself growing quiet. He finally admitted, "yeah, I am." Jericho sighed and smiled sweetly. Then he stared vacantly at his memories with a fond warmth while he spoke. "My...village, is isolated and small. It never grows, only shrinks, and I was the youngest of them. They felt I would have no future if I stayed, and so I left." A bitter-sweet feeling ruminated in his words, and he smiled comfortably when he glanced back to her. His words carried over the pattering of their feet as they grew closer to the Garrison. "I'm trying to learn as much as I can, not only does peek my curiosity, but all of it is new to me. My village never had any of these interesting things and I'm glad I can learn them alongside someone!" He bubbled up happily. "So thanks for bringing me along."
Back to top Go down
Pumpkin Cup

Pumpkin Cup

PostSubject: Re: Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin)   Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2020 10:36 pm

Quote :
Juniper couldn’t help be curious by Jericho’s sudden silence, her own eyes boring into his cloaked expression as she tried to figure out what he was thinking. Though she doubted the man was ever thinking about multiple things at once, or anything very complicated, she wondered why her simple question would cause his silence. However, once he did respond, she was satisfied with his response, nodding her head once and refocusing on the road and their surroundings. “I do see,” she replied in monotone, not entirely sure how she could comprehend. Who could live on such a fleeting lifestyle? Though she herself took on various missions or was called to them, she always had her land and company to return to. Finding little jobs to take on was simply unimaginable. “So I imagine, with that in mind, you will not be following me long after we get this badger situation settled?” Raising a tapered raven brow, her dull blue eyes glanced to his face only for a moment. “Will you return to the tavern and continue with things as usual?” She only asked from curiosity, a twinge of a bitter tone coating her words, but she did have a hint of worry pricking her gut. What reputation would he end up having with being affiliated with the badger hunter? Would he have to move again, left to survive from a fresh start to wherever the wind blew him? She didn’t exactly wish that upon anyone, especially not a boy that didn’t have a steady footing in the world. He was not someone that needed hate, or enemies, following him. That feeling only worsened however when his expression shifted, when he got lost in his own mind for a while as he replied to her of his family. So he had no family either, they had pushed him away… He must be truly alone to be living in this world without an ally at his side. Would he accept a squireship, by any chance? To give him a sense of stability, a place he could be accepted and grow among fellow peers? She bit her lip as she thought of it, cascading through papers in her mind to get a solution started for him. It did surprise her out of her thoughts however when he thanked her for bringing her along her mission. Her eyes met his, and she held it for a few seconds before sighing out the tension on her shoulders. “You’re welcome, Jericho,” she murmured. “If you ever want to learn anything while you are with me, don’t hesitate to ask, if you’re so eager to learn. I know a lot about weaponry, archery, and horse handling. Any could be useful to you in your travels if you aren’t already skilled in them. I would feel safer leaving you at the end of this with a good head on your shoulders and the wit to outrun enemies that may want to come after you.”
Back to top Go down
Sub-Zero
Admin
Sub-Zero

PostSubject: Re: Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin)   Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2020 3:07 pm

Quote :
Her question, followed by a lifted brow, caused him to contemplate his answer a little more carefully. Would he leave soon after this badger business was dealt with? He hadn't really considered anything, one way or the other. He supposed he would see where he wanted to go when the time came, but he had a suspicion he would stay around. "I don't know." He responded with his naturally plucky optimism. "Honestly, I think I'll learn more from you than at any of my other jobs, so we'll see! I don't have any plans on leaving yet, though, I always like to have plenty of options, and I wouldn't mind seeing what this side of town has to offer...badgers, or whatever else may come. I'm keeping an open mind." His blissful smile faced the path ahead of them and his hands rested at his sides. If she didn't want him around, he figured she would say so and he'd leave. Until that time, he would follow wherever his fate led him. He was mentally assured that this was the best idea, especially after she offered to teach him whatever he fancied. 'Weaponry, horse-handling, archery...' Jericho sprung up happily. "Archery? Oh, believe you me, I am quite the specialist at archery! I made the bow I use. In fact, I may even teach you a thing or two!" He was clearly teasing, putting as much emphasis on his playful joke as he could so it would seem obvious he wasn't serious. No, the lad wasn't that confident in his abilities against hers, and didn't want to seem like he was boasting. People had a way of making these jokes quite a bit and it was something Jericho had picked up on during his travels. Now he responded more appropriately. "Yes. I would love to learn all of it! Everything from the rhythm of a horse, to the boats at sea, and the swords the Kingdom seems to fancy so much! I'll leave that to a better time, but I'll keep an eye out for those opportunities myself." He nodded to her once as he shifted his gaze to the side. A soft laugh caught in his throat as he crossed his arms over his chest. The faded robe of his cowl bundled around his elbows as he had done so, and he sent her a quick glance. "Maybe I'll pick up on your intimidating aura." He smiled, eager to catch her reaction. "Who knows, in a few years I might be tough enough to scare people! I think I got quite the act for it to. I should show you one day, you see, I have a mean glare and it's very scary!" He laughed.
Back to top Go down
Pumpkin Cup

Pumpkin Cup

PostSubject: Re: Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin)   Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2020 8:44 pm

Quote :
The marchioness couldn’t help but be surprised by her companion’s reply. Though the man had just stated he preferred to follow the wind, it was nice, almost flattering, that he was eager to stick by her side and help her out for a time. Their shoes clicked on the stone stairs as they ascended to the Garrison doors, passing a few soldiers descending to continue on their day. Juniper bowed her head to them, though their head bows were more pronounced, likely either recognizing her or her appeared rank. She imagined the militia of the city would know all the local nobility, including allies and nearby lands. After she silently greeted one particularly handsome man, she was knocked out of her passing admiration at Jericho’s sudden excitement about archery. The boy was talented in it? She had seen the flashes of the bow stretched across his back, but from how little he seemed to interact with it, she would have never guessed. It made her long for her own bow and quiver, kept with Artheanax back in the town stables. Why did she even leave it behind? At least she had her rapier on her side that could aid in any mishaps or misunderstandings. “I doubt you could teach a noble like me anything,” she responded, a hint of teasing back at him but still feeling a twinge of...a feeling she tended to feel often but had no name for it. To think someone could be better than her at something she had trained in for years...it threw her off and caused her insides to contort and tighten in pain. However, with her normal stoic expression, it was hardly noticed. Even with his heavy teasing tone, it was a hard tonic to swallow. At least when he continued, he expressed interest in other talents she held, which eased the pain in her chest just a bit. She could actually be the teacher for once. They reached the peak of the staircase, entering the lobby with little issue from her present crest. It was a room with tall ceilings and columns bordering the main hall down the center of the building. Either side contained spaces for conversing, comfortable chairs and tables laid out for lounging or meeting fellow soldiers. It was tempting to sit after the walk up the stairs, her leg throbbing. But she had to push through it to get their information and head back on their way. Subtly shifting her weight as she stood off to the side, she watched the soldiers meander around the grand hall, trying to distinguish the paths without asking for directions. That was going to take a while though, with how little direction there was in the first place. Jericho’s comment about her aura though, and learning it, couldn’t help but have a bewildered scoff escape her lips. “You, an intimidating brute with a glower to make anyone cry? I don’t think I’d believe it until I saw it. I may have to put you to the test, Jericho. Be prepared for when I test your skills. Learning how to be stricter in your actions though, that may take some time. I was not simply molded from daily lessons in stoic nobility.”
Back to top Go down
Sub-Zero
Admin
Sub-Zero

PostSubject: Re: Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin)   Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2020 4:04 pm

Quote :
With the wind rippling in his cowl, strands of his brunette hair brushed along his forehead and danced in the breeze. The pair ascended the stony steps of the Garrison, with passing guards on either sides of them. The tapping of their shoes smothered the clicking of the Knights as they walked, and the armor caught the ribbons of sunlight that pirouetted from the heavens. Jericho's distracted gaze rolled from one new thing to another, first the view, and then the unfamiliar faces around him. He felt a wave of heat rise in his ears as he caught Juniper's words. A broad, enthused smile spread over his lips, though he saved his response. If he was lucky, a noble like her could teach him a thing or two about archery. He felt he was virtually born with a bow in his hands, but he never shrank away from the idea of meeting someone who was better at archery than he was. In fact, he always welcomed it with youthful, round eyes, and intrigue, and he supposed he would see what would come of it. His hands grazed the handrails as they made their final ascent to the open lobby of the building. The bow and quiver, situated around his shoulder, lightly tapped at his back with each step up the staircase. He had enough time to catch his partner's response to his quip about his 'scary glare' before they entered the room, then she had scoffed. Juniper schooled him, as he half-expected, telling him he would have to prove it and intimidating people took time to master. Well, she didn't believe him? He pouted silently to himself, raising a brow in her direction but saying nothing. He folded his arms, slightly annoyed for once, with a fire of determination to prove to her sometime in the future that he could be mean if he wanted to. He then looked ahead to see where they were headed as the front lobby was opened into a spacious area, with columns spread in an orderly fashion, placed by a hallway, and around spaces for groups to congregate. No doubt the place was clean...very clean. It was virtually polished to perfection, something Jericho hadn't once expected from a place like this. The only thing close to this level of attention to detail, was in the places of worship near his homeland, and even then, they were more focused on spiritual things than on the structure itself. The columns here gleamed like pearl and he figured they were as smooth to the touch. He glided forward, circling to stare up and around the room, realizing how high up the ceiling was from his reach. He was in a daze for a few moments. "Wow," he whispered in awe. "How cool is this!" He smiled, resisting the urge to run off and investigate more of the Garrison for himself. Instead he retreated back to Juniper's side, staring at each nook and cranny his eyes managed to take heed of. "They even clean in the cracks, that's so weird! It's not like people crawl around on the ground like snails, inspecting the walls and cracks for dust and stuff! Dust is normal, so is dirt!" He tapped at his lip with his forefinger, mulling over the possibilities, but he was only led to one. Perking up as though he had discovered the reason, he proudly announced his finding. "It must be a temple of sorts! That's it. That's why they keep it so clean, surely it must have some religious significance. Why else would it be so fancy?"Jericho looked at Juniper, as if passing his assumption over to her and seeing what she thought of it. He figured everyone was marveled as much as he was, and everyone was as clueless and confused. His ultimate reasoning though made sense in his mind, after all, he had only seen such grandeur in places of worship. He continued to look around in wonder as they went on their way, not needing an actual explanation, and basking in his childlike enthusiasm.
Back to top Go down
Pumpkin Cup

Pumpkin Cup

PostSubject: Re: Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin)   Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2020 10:47 pm

Quote :
Standing in the grand hall of the Garrison, taking in every bit of information she could gather from passing members and their paths as they meandered to and from the various rooms. How large was this place anyways? From the outside anyone would guess it was simply a town hall, or an equivalent, but it was deceiving. The inside was far too large to be for simple meetings. It was a place of tactics and infantry, scouting the lands for troublesome citizens or keeping chaos under control. It was beyond her expectations even still, moreso when standing in its entrance. Her eyes were temporarily drawn to her companion when he entered her peripheral, his vision clouded with thoughts of what he was thinking of. What made him so enthusiastic about the building? When he finally came to, exclaiming his theory of the buildings creation, she had to pause her investigation to stare at him. A temple? A garrison was nowhere to a temple, definitely not from the outside at least. It was clean inside, yes, but she was fairly certain that young children were used to do such things, keep up appearances. Guards had little time for frivolous tasks. Sighing out, her leg aching as she did so, she adjusted to lean against a podium as she pondered the idea vaguely. "Perhaps," she mulled. "I don't know why they would do such a thing, when the militia is frequenting these halls. Its going to be dirty and a mess, being so pristine doesn't give them any favors. If a God is going to be distraught over some dirt, they have little purpose looking over military members." She bit her tongue after though, realizing she was getting some looks from nearby members. Were they that picky about it? "Regardless, temples recruit little kids of militia to keep the place tidy. Out of sight, out of mind. Its only when you're looking for them that you'll see them." She shared a particular distaste for such a job. When she was younger, she became well acquainted with the treatment of temple hands. "No idea who theyd be worshipping here though. Aren't there like, a thousand gods and goddesses and the like? I don't know why a random garrison would be so dedicated to praising their heavenly beings. That seems much more of a public affair than something to strictly keep with militia." Unless the city praised the military for their work. If they were the top of the ranks under the main general, and the city was controlled by the militia, then it would be more reasonable for them to have the grandeur of a temple in their main space. It still made little sense to her - she did not see anything resembling a temple or chapel on the way here. Was practicing religion in a public space forbidden among this city, beyond these city walls? Did Lady Abi'Laark prohibit religious worship? She wanted to ask, if only to chew her out for her hypocrisy and idiocy. Juniper respected the woman greatly, but she could not make senseless laws that did not pertain to the rest of the Isles and beyond. Hopefully it was just this city that was confusing, or maybe the entire city was humble and hid their temples behind a mask of a typical building. Either way, she wasn't in the mood to be manipulated by the architecture of one town out of thousands. She had better things to worry about. Like, for one, finding this darned General before she lost her mind standing here in pain.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin)   Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin) - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Southern Isles (1x1 Sub-Pumpkin)
Page 4 of 20Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next